Some things in life are magical. Verifying Google Search Console is usually not one of them 🙂
Auto DNS Verification makes verifying GSC almost magical.
Just follow these easy steps
- Login to Google Search Console
- Click Add Property (from the top left drop down)
- Enter your domain in the Pop-up window:
- After clicking “continue” you’ll be prompted, enter your hosting login. Follow the prompts and click accept and verify.
- Click Verify and you’re done! (sometimes GSC skips the button)
Which DNS Providers are part of Auto DNS Verification?
- Google Domains (affiliated product)
- IONOS by 1&1
What is Auto DNS Verification?
Auto DNS verification will automatically verify your site ownership by connecting directly with DNS provider who is managing your nameservers.
Google originally built a custom integration with select DNS providers and now appears to use Domain Connect for some of those verification connections.
What is Domain Connect?
Domain Connect is an open source project that makes it easier to manage/update their DNS which is often technical & complicated. Think of it as OAuth between your website and service providers…
Engineering leaders, like Arnold Blinn (then at GoDaddy), spearheaded the project in an effort to make website service integration & configuration easier for website owners. More specifically, the goal was to minimize the struggle of setting up popular 3rd party services like web hosting, email, search analytics, and more.